Want to take better photos? We've got that covered. Read on for tips on lighting, shooting and listing items on your Depop.
- Find a bright space, next to or near a window for that natural, clear lighting
- If you need to shoot with light, be careful. Invest in some professional studio lighting, don't worry there are some super inexpensive soft boxes and flat pack lighting kits online, and you’ll instantly look like a pro
- Any other form of artificial lighting could give your photos a yellow tint, warped colours and cast unwanted shadows which doesn't look ideal won't get you on that all important explore page
- Outdoors on a cloudy day which is actually is best for lighting. (bright and flat) Direct sunlight can wash out colours and create shadows.
- As long as the photos are clear and bright... without your un-made bed in the background, you're off to a great start
MODELS & PRODUCT SHOTS:
- Keep it simple....but interesting. Try using a backdrop that doesn’t divert the buyers attention from the product, whether its something classic or more DIY. Get creative but understand and compliment the item in question.
- Top Tip. Maybe go for flat lays over hanger shots. This will make your item up to 60% more likely to sell but either way, a great background can really make or break the image.
- Try to keep a sense of consistency in your listings. This doesn't mean every photo has to be the same, but stick to an over all theme or colour. This will help give your shop its identity and means buyers can recognise your listings, which means more sales
- It's a good idea to take a "fit pic". Don't worry, this doesn't mean you need to hire any professional models, you could just ask a friend and set up your own photoshoot. This even gives you a chance to explore styling your pieces and provides the customer a better overall idea of the item, how it fits and sizing
- If you don't have space in your house or a studio, don't worry. You can head out and about with your model scouting out locations. This helps your shop to build personality as well as keeping things fresh
SHOOTING AND FRAMING:
- Top tip. Utilise all 4 images. Taking up to 4 photos instead of just 1 can increase your chances of selling by up to 20%. This means you have more choice of what to show. e.g front, back, labelling/brand details and on a model. Any variation of these makes for a much stronger listing
- If you are taking a video, show a 360 degree view. This helps to show off the the items angles and details
- When filming, the camera picks up a lot of background noise
- Either choose your location carefully or you can remove the audio completely and even add music over the top
- The video will be the first thing a buyer sees on a listing, so make sure you pick a frame for your cover to make it pop.
Photos are the heartbeat of Depop. From at lays, model shots and even close-ups, you can instantly attract customers and increase sales with 10% more effort. Take a good photo, become a global superstar.
Better photos means more sales.