COVID-19: Seller and Buyer FAQ & Guidelines (Updated 20 March)
Depop is and always will be a community first. Your safety and that of the entire Depop community is our first priority. That’s why we’re giving you further guidelines on COVID-19.
This Help Centre article will be continuously updated with new and necessary information in line with any new developments of COVID-19. Check back for new updates.
First and foremost, always follow the latest advice from your local government. For now, we’ve pulled together these guidelines to help you keep safe and to help limit the spread.
If you are a seller
- Ship safely: Please check your local government guidelines and shipping providers if it is safe to ship. Some providers are offering specific shipping services to make sure you can ship safely and in line with local government recommendations.
- When not to ship: If you cannot ship safely, we strongly recommend that you don’t. In these cases, as always, we recommend that you communicate the situation with your buyers. We also recommend that you update your shop bio letting users know that for the moment, you can’t safely ship.
- Get in Touch: If you have any immediate concerns, please contact our global seller experience team at TeamCOVID19@depop.com, including your username, your country, and your query. A member of our team will get back to you within 24 hours.
If you are a buyer
- Be patient: As you know, this is an uncertain time for our community around the world and shipping items is difficult for many of our sellers right now. We’ve asked all our sellers to get in touch about any delays they may be facing. Your item could be delayed due to the shipping provider, or the seller hasn’t been able to get the item shipped yet. If you haven’t already, make sure you reach out to your seller to get any further information from them on your item or refund.
- Update your delivery address: When making a purchase, remember to update your delivery address to somewhere that you can access the post. Avoid sending any packages to work addresses or places that you can’t access until further notice.
- You’re protected: If the seller is unable to ship for any reason and there is no way to resolve your issue with the seller directly, please note that you are fully protected by Buyer Protection and are entitled to a full refund up to 180 days from purchase. To open a PayPal dispute, just follow these instructions ensuring you open a dispute from the item under the reason ‘I didn’t receive an item I purchased’. Please note PayPal is experiencing longer than usual wait times.
COVID-19: Seller FAQ
Is it still safe for people to shop on Depop? If so, will you be letting buyers know that Depop is still safe to shop from?
Yes, it is still safe to shop on Depop. The World Health Organization is regularly updating its website with new information and advice. To stay informed on COVID-19, read the full FAQ on the World Health Organization website.
Can I still ship items to countries that have been affected by COVID-19?
If you are shipping internationally, we advise you to track evolving communications from your shipment provider. Below are links to the expected shipment impact for different providers:
Mondial Relay: https://www.mondialrelay.fr/
Deutsche Post: https://www.deutschepost.de/de/c/coronavirus.html
Die Post: https://www.post.ch
Lavtijas Pasts: https://www.pasts.lv/en/
Do I need to state in descriptions that all my items are disinfected?
As a rule, all secondhand items must be cleaned according to the manufacturer’s instructions before being listed for sale. We take listings with misleading claims and practices that try to exploit this public health emergency very seriously. And we will remove and block any listings that mention COVID-19, coronavirus or 2019nCoV in the title or description.
I haven’t responded to customers as I’m ill/ taking care of my family or I’m in isolation. What should I tell my buyers if I’m not able to ship my items?
If you have been affected by the virus and know there might be a delay in responses or the shipment of items, the best thing to do is make this very clear in your shop’s bio so that buyers immediately know to expect delays and message any buyers who are awaiting shipments. Always keep your buyers as informed as possible to avoid any complaints or complications.
If I’m unable to ship an item that a buyer has already purchased, what should I do?
We know this is a difficult time for our community around the world and that shipping items might not be possible right now. Because of this, we're temporarily recommending that you refund your buyer if you are not able to ship.
If you choose to refund your buyer, refund them directly from your PayPal account (via a desktop/laptop/browser on your phone rather than the app). Please click here for instructions. Please note that PayPal is experiencing a higher than normal wait time, so their replies may take longer than usual.
To then get your Depop fee refunded, send us a request via this link and select ‘I have sold something on Depop’ and ‘Refund Depop fee’, make sure you add a screenshot of your refund. We’re experiencing a high volume of fee refund requests right now, so it might take us up to 24 hours to get back to you.
If my sales are affected, will that affect my Top Seller status? Will the Top Seller targets be reduced during this time?
No Top Sellers will be removed from the program as a result of lower sales in the coming months. We’re factoring in the current circumstances into our Top Seller Programme policies, so don’t worry, we’re here to support you.
We’ll be sending out further communications surrounding the Top Seller Programme, but if you have any immediate concerns, please reach out to TeamCOVID19@depop.com letting us know your username, country you’re in and query and a member of our team will get back to you within 24 hours.
Does the government offer any support to self-employed people who get sick? Is there any benefit scheme to provide sick pay for self-employed?
We know that this crisis is particularly difficult for entrepreneurs. If you are self-employed, we recommend that you reach out to your local public officials to understand what support your government may be providing.
What will happen if the situation gets worse?
As a company, we’ll continue to stick to the guidance provided by the World Health Organization and local public health officials as well as closely following developments associated with COVID-19 to make sure our policies and actions are up to date.
COVID-19: Buyer FAQ
Is it still safe for people to shop on Depop?
Yes, it is still safe to shop on Depop. The World Health Organization is regularly updating with new information on advice as new developments arise. To stay informed on COVID-19 and to read their full FAQ, please visit the World Health Organization.
I’ve purchased an item and the buyer hasn’t shipped it?
We know this is a difficult time for our community around the world and that shipping items might not be possible right now. Because of this, we thank you for being patient. If you haven’t already, make sure to reach out to the seller directly to ask for an update regarding your order. We’ve asked all our sellers to get in touch about any delays they may be facing. Your item may be delayed due to the shipping provider or the seller might not have been able to ship the item yet.
Remember to update your delivery address to somewhere you can access and avoid sending any packages to work addresses or places that you can’t access at the moment.
I haven’t heard from the seller, can I just get a refund?
If you haven’t already, make sure you reach out to your seller to get any further information from them on your refund.
If the seller is unable to ship for any reason and there is no way to resolve your issue with the seller directly, please note that you are fully protected by Buyer Protection and are entitled to a full refund up to 180 days from purchase, to open a PayPal dispute just follow these instructions ensuring you open a dispute from the item under the reason ‘I didn’t receive an item I purchased’. If this isn’t resolved within 20 days, you will need to escalate the dispute to a claim, instructions to do this can be found here.
Please note that PayPal is experiencing a higher than normal wait time, so their replies may take longer than usual.