External parties not affiliated with Depop may be attempting to access your account by using deceptive emails and websites that appear to come from a legitimate source, also known as phishing. Be suspicious of any unusual requests asking for any of your sensitive information, e.g. personal or financial details, by email or phone.
Someone is asking me to share personal information via the Depop platform
We strongly recommend against sharing any personal information via Messages. Sharing email addresses, phone numbers or any other personal information could result in external parties not affiliated with Depop attempting to access your account, which is known as phishing.
It is also against Depop's Terms of Service to transact outside of the app. Only ever purchase items in app, by clicking the 'Buy' button
If you believe someone is acting suspiciously, please report the user to our Support teams who will review the account and take appropriate action.
How do I know if an email is coming from Depop?
All correspondence you receive from Depop via email will come from an @depop.com email address. We will never contact you asking you to share any personal information in an email through a 3rd party website or outside of our app.
I've received a suspicious email claiming to be from Depop
- Do not click any of the links or open any attachments within the email
- Contact us directly via our Help Centre, making sure to take a screenshot of the email – be sure the screenshot includes the sender’s contact information
- After taking a screenshot of the email, delete it and report it to your email provider as phishing
- Do not send any items or funds
I’ve already provided personal information or opened a link
- Follow the steps below to change your password. Make sure it’s complex and isn’t used on other sites or apps
- Update your password on any other websites where you use the same email and password combination
- If you entered payment information, contact your financial institution immediately
How can I keep my account and personal information safe?
If you’ve received a suspicious email or have noticed any suspicious activity within your account, one of the best ways to protect yourself is to change your password. See some steps on how to do so below:
- Make it long – the more characters your password has the tougher it is to crack
- Use symbols – adding symbols into your password can make it more unpredictable and harder to guess (! . , @)
- Use a memorable phrase or sentence instead of just one word
- Stay away from the obvious – such as ‘0’ instead of ‘o’
- Use a password manager – these auto-generate and store strong passwords for you, making your password stronger
Don’t hesitate to contact us directly if you have any difficulty getting into your account so we can help you get back to selling and shopping on Depop safely.