External parties not affiliated with Depop may be attempting to hack your account by using deceptive emails and websites that appear to come from a legitimate source, also known as ‘phishing’. Be suspicious of any unusual requests asking for any of your sensitive information, e.g. personal or financial details, by email or phone.
Here are some tips to help you identify suspicious activity and keep your account safe.
How to know if an email is coming from Depop or not
All correspondence you receive from Depop via email will come from an @depop.com email address. We will never contact you asking you to share any personal information in an email through a 3rd party website or outside of our app.
What to do if you receive a suspicious email claiming to be from Depop
- Do not click any of the links or open any attachments within the email.
- Contact us directly via our Help Centre here, making sure to take a screenshot of the email – be sure the screenshot includes the sender’s contact information.
- After taking a screenshot of the email, delete it.
What to do if you’ve already provided personal information or opened a link
- Follow the steps below to change your password. Make sure it’s complex and isn’t used on other sites or apps.
- Update your password on any other websites where you use the same email and password combination.
- If you entered payment information, contact your financial institution immediately.
How to help keep your account and personal information safe
If you’ve received a suspicious email or have noticed any suspicious activity within your account, one of the best ways to protect yourself is to change your password. See some steps on how to do so below:
- Make it long – the more characters your password has the tougher it is to crack
- Use symbols – adding symbols into your password can make it more unpredictable and harder to guess (! . , @)
- Use a memorable phrase or sentence instead of just one word
- Stay away from the obvious – such as ‘0’ instead of ‘o’
- Use a password manager – these auto-generate and store strong passwords for you, making your password stronger
Don’t hesitate to contact us directly if you have any difficulty getting into your account so we can help you get back to selling and shopping on Depop safely.