Keeping Depop honest, creative and kind - July 2021 update
As a community-led platform we regularly review our policies, and in July 2021 we launched updates to some of our community guidelines which are aimed at keeping Depop an honest, creative and kind place to discover unique fashion.
To help explain our community guidelines and provide tips and guidance on how to stay safe when buying and selling on Depop, we’ve launched a brand new Safety Centre. We recommend checking out the site for essential tips and guides on how we do it at Depop - how to get the most out of the app, buy and sell securely, and be a great member of our community.
What are the main changes I should know about?
The main changes we’ve made to our existing policies are:
- Keeping Depop a kind, safe place by enhancing our policies on hate speech, discrimination, bullying and harassment
- Making sure you’re clear on what you can sell on Depop, by updating our prohibited items list
- Explaining our approach to self-expression, and how items can be modelled
These updated policies will take effect from 6th September 2021. You can see all our latest policies in full by visiting our Safety Centre.
I’ve been told I need to change a listing to be in line with the new policies - what do I need to change?
As part of our policy update we have decided to get tougher with our rules on derogatory, discriminatory and/or harmful language, and language that promotes negative stereotyping of protected groups.
Some examples of content that we’ll now be removing from the platform moving forward include:
- Listings, product descriptions and/or hashtags that use stereotyping, derogatory or discriminatory language, such as "oriental", "eskimo" or "gypsy"
- Merchandise from sports teams who have changed their team names to remove language that is derogatory toward indigenous or minority groups; for example, the Washington Redskins
If your listing falls into one of the categories above, you’ll need to update or remove it before 6th September 2021, otherwise it will be removed.
Why do the policies need to change?
As a community-led platform we regularly review and evolve our policies to make sure they are up-to-date and relevant. We’re letting all users know about the changes via email.
What’s the difference between the Safety Centre and the Help Centre?
The Safety Centre provides tips and insights to help our community stay safe and get the most out of Depop. Our Help Centre will continue to be the go-to place for direct customer support and answers to specific questions.
Why aren't the policies taking effect until September?
We already have clear rules on how to use our platform, which will continue to apply until 6th September. But because we’re making some updates, we want to let our community know in advance.
How do I find out more?
To find out more about how to stay safe on Depop and all our community guidelines, visit our Safety Centre here.
I need help - what should I do?
Our Support team is always here to help - submit a request via our Help Centre here.