Depop is built around our community. Every day millions of users interact with each other. They buy, sell, and form long-lasting friendships both virtually and IRL. We celebrate Depop’s uniqueness and the fact that the app enables people to build empires from their bedrooms. To do this with success, we need to have community guidelines in place to allow our users to be empowered and to grow, while also staying safe.
Our goal is to keep you safe, to allow freedom of expression and ultimately make sure everyone treats each other with respect. We have a handful of fundamental points that can keep everyone’s Depop experience fun, positive and long-term. We want to share them with you so we can all work together to help our community meet certain basic standards in everything we do.
Keep your communication positive.
Only ever transact using the ‘buy’ button.
Treat everyone how you want to be treated.
Bullying & harassment
- We have zero tolerance for bullying or harassment.
- If you don’t like the way someone speaks to you, block them. Let us know by reporting them from the ‘...’ on their profile. Click ‘Report user’ and we will handle it. It’s never wise to get into an argument.
- We are diverse. We celebrate equality. We do not tolerate any hatred towards anyone on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, identity or disability
Threats of violence
- Much like harassment, we have zero tolerance for threats of violence towards another user.
- Don’t ever use someone’s personal details to threaten them, or share these details publicly in any situation.
- We don’t allow the glorification of self-harm, including promotion of self-injury or eating disorders.
Stay above the law
- We will remove any illegal items such as drugs, weapons and counterfeit items. We have the right to remove the user listing these, too. You can see all our prohibited items here.
- We have zero tolerance when it comes to offering sexual services, or communicating in a sexually explicit manner towards anyone. Depop is not a dating site. Keep it clean.
Buying and selling is only safe when you use the BUY button in-app
- If anyone suggests that you can get the item cheaper by sending them money privately, just say no. If you send money outside the app, you’re more likely to end up without the item, and without the money you sent, too.
- PayPal is 100% secure for both users when transacting inside the app, via our BUY button.
- ‘Avoiding the Depop fee’ is a bad suggestion for both users. It means we can’t help you if something goes wrong.
- Swapping or trading items with another user must always be for the full value of the item. For example, if you want to swap your Supreme tee for a Palace jumper, you still need to use the BUY button for the full value. Agreeing to send these privately without a transaction on Depop means you are not protected if the other person doesn’t send the item.
Keep it honest. Don’t spam.
- Keep your listings honest and accurate.
- Original photos are the heartbeat of Depop. Take a good photo, become a global superstar. And that means only ever sharing images that you own and therefore you have the right to post. Learn more about this here.
- Using hashtags may feel like the best way to get items sold, but use them wisely. Adding too many or using irrelevant hashtags will mean your item won’t show up in search results.
- Same goes with writing loads of comments on other users’ items, or sending lots of messages asking people to buy your stuff. This is known as spamming and can result in a suspension of your account.
Help us keep Depop safe
Found something you think doesn’t meet these guidelines? Report them to us. Whether it’s a user or an item, you can go to the ‘…’ on the item or profile, and hitting ‘report user/item’. We review every report and will always take appropriate action should the user or item break our rules.