When a buyer searches on Depop, we try to show them results that best match what they’re looking for. This means our search results prioritise relevant, clear listings from sellers who follow our rules and have positive feedback.
How can I improve my search visibility?
Here are a few things you can do to optimise your search ranking and help buyers find your items.
- Create accurate and complete listings
- Follow the rules.
- Keep a positive selling record
- Always ship your item quickly, using a tracked shipping method.
The more info you include about your item, the better we can match it to buyer searches.
How can I make my listing stand out?
- Use high-quality photos, taken from several angles, making sure to show any flaws or clear signs of wear.
- Write an accurate item description. Start with a headline that summarises your item, then add any relevant item information including the material, measurements and item condition, making sure to include details of any flaws or clear signs of wear. If you want to add any reasons to buy from you – like bundle discounts, offers or shipping methods – make sure you add these at the end of your description.
- Add extra information about your item, including category, subcategory, brand (where relevant) and condition.
- Add relevant tags such as colour and style.
- Set your shipping policies. To provide the best possible buyer experience, offer tracked domestic and international shipping options.
What should I not do?
- Don’t include irrelevant or repetitive keywords, hashtags, brands or tags in your item description.
- Never accept or make out-of-app payments.
- Never list counterfeit items.
Here are some examples of accurate and complete listings:
Check out the Seller's Handbook for more tips on creating listings that help you sell.
Does how much I sell affect how my items rank?
No, the number of items you list or sell has no influence on how your items rank.
What about the length of the item description?
Description length has no effect on how an item ranks in search results. The most important thing is that the description describes the item as clearly and accurately as possible, including measurements and signs of wear if applicable.
Which hashtags should I use in a listing?
Use hashtags that accurately describe your item. For example, if you were listing a Nike ‘Swoosh’ sweatshirt, you might use hashtags such as #nike #swoosh and #sweatshirt. If you were listing a vintage Levi’s denim jacket, you might try #levis #denim and #vintage.
Why am I not seeing my items in search results?
There are a couple of reasons your item might not show up, or rank highly for a particular search:
- The search has a lot of results e.g. ‘Nike’, so there are a lot of items competing for the top places in search results.
- The search has filters applied to it (e.g. colour, condition), so your item will only show up if its listing information matches what the buyer is searching for e.g. ‘black’ or ‘brand new’. This is why it’s so important to create accurate and complete listings.
I get a lot of messages from buyers. Does my response time affect how my items rank in search results?
No, your response time to messages doesn’t directly affect how your items rank.
It’s worth bearing in mind though, that sellers who respond quickly to buyers are more likely to sell their items and receive positive feedback, which are factors that play a part in optimising how their items rank in search results.
What happens if I go on holiday or can’t check my Depop for a while?
The best thing to do is to be as honest as possible with buyers, so you can manage their expectations and lessen your chance of receiving negative feedback.
Let buyers know in your bio or item description(s) that you’re away at the moment and unable to respond to messages quickly and/or can’t ship item(s), and if possible, let them know when you will be able to ship.
Why can’t I see the ‘Items from the rest of the world’ section in search results?
To protect our UK/EU buyers and sellers, we’ve had to temporarily change which items are visible in search results.
For now, if you’re searching in the UK you’ll only see items located in the UK, which means you won’t see the ‘Items from the rest of the world’ section. If you're in the EU, you won't see items located outside of the EU.
If you’re searching outside of the UK or EU, there won’t be any changes to your search experience.
OK, why are you doing this?
We’re doing this to prevent UK/EU buyers and sellers experiencing any negative impact that could arise from new Brexit and European Union shipping laws and border restrictions.